The Central Mississippi Planning and Development District is working with our seven-county region to develop a Safe Streets and Roads for All (SS4A) Safety Action Plan. Development of the Safety Action Plan is the first step in identifying challenges and solutions to help make our roadways safer for everyone. The Safety Action Plan’s purpose is to improve roadway safety by significantly reducing or eliminating roadway fatalities and serious injuries through safety action plan development and project implementation focused on all users. This includes pedestrians, bicyclists, public transit users, and motorists. The Safety Action Plan is funded with a grant from the US Department of Transportation and the Federal Highway Administration.
The Safety Action Plan will be developed through a collaborative effort and will include a number of community outreach campaigns aimed at involving you and other community stakeholders throughout the planning process. Your feedback will help inform the study team of safety concerns so that we may better understand and address your priorities as the study progresses.
Potential Project Benefits and Goals
- Identifying challenges and solutions to help make roadways in Central Mississippi safer for everyone
- Identifying missing links between existing bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure
- Identifying candidate roadways eligible for upgrades that help reduce speeds, provide safer bicycle and pedestrian traffic opportunities, and consider on-street parking or transit stops
- Ensuring resources and opportunities are made equally available to all by using processes that are inclusive and accurately represent the public
- Expanding eligibility for local jurisdictions to apply for implementation (capital construction) grants for discretionary grant funds through the SS4A initiative.
- Participate by visiting https://metroquestsurvey.com/ae0k0d and taking a short five-minute survey.
- Attend one of our engagement opportunities. Click here to see a list of scheduled events.
- Questions? Contact Lesley Callender, Senior Transportation Planner by email at email@example.com or by phone at (601) 981-1511.